Monday, March 7, 2011

Drama at the Dentist Part 3 (or Drama at the Dentist AGAIN?!?)

Today it was time for the kids 6 month cleaning and checkup at the dentist.  Everything went smoothly up until the very end.  Lindsey had been fearful during the cleaning but I got her to cooperate by talking her through it and holding her hands.  Then the dentist did his exam, no problems with any of the kids teeth. 

He recommended sealant put on Lindsey's 6 year molars.  The hygienist said this would take about 15 minutes and she would have to keep her "tongue still", as she put it, so the sealant could dry.  I had a bad feeling about this but reluctantly agreed.  I guess I should have listened to my gut feeling.  They weren't two minutes into painting the sealant on Lindsey's back molars when she started gagging.  The hygienist kept saying, "Just breathe through your nose, Sweetie."  But a few seconds later Lindsey threw up pretty much all of her peanut butter sandwich lunch.  Did you know those suction things they use to vacuum up excess saliva also works on vomit? 

Unfortunately when it flowed out of her mouth, most of it got in her hair.  Trying to get thrown-up peanut butter out of your daughter's long hair in the bathroom at the dentist, well, let's just say it's not fun, but not as bad as cleaning diarrhea out of your son's shoes in a public restroom.  I guess that puts me in the ranks of experienced parents.  My kids' bodily fluids no longer bother me that much.

Blain said that when I was in the bathroom with Lindsey, the hygienist apologized and felt really bad.  She said she had been doing this for 3 years and had never had a kid vomit before on any kind of procedure.  And Lindsey is not a kid to throw up easily which made it even more surprising.  This will make going to the dentist next time even more exciting!  We just never know what to expect.

No comments:

Post a Comment